Log in

May. 2nd, 2009 @ 07:23 pm Which option seems best?
Could you please help me decide between these 2 options? I currently attend a 2-year college, and I didn't get into some of the colleges I applied to and wasn't considered eligible for some other colleges. Here are my options:

1. Stay at my 2-year college for one more quarter. Apply to the University of Washington and have around 105 credits (which is all of my credits) transfer over, and apply to Georgia Tech, University of Michigan, and maybe UC San Diego.

2. Stay for fall, winter, and spring quarter. Apply to the following schools with the following reasons for the year-long stay:
- UCLA: They didn't take some of my credits before, so they didn't even look at my application for fall 2010. The admissions lady said that i could have gotten in had I had 90 UC-transferable credits. Only open for fall.
-UC Berkeley: My core English classes didn't meet UCB's, and an admissions lady said that she could help me with that if I apply for fall 2010. Only open for fall.
-McGill: Only college so far that requires physics for my math major, and I could start and finish the series next year. It's in an exciting city, it's in a different country, it's cheaper, and it will give me a culture shock away from home.
-University of North Carolina: Only open for fall.
-Find more to apply to.
-I'll still apply to UW, Georgia Tech, UMich, and UC San Diego, though.

I will decide between either #1 and #2 because I will only start the physics series if I pick #2. Depending on where I end up, I graduate a year later if I choose #2.
Thanks for your help.
Entry Details
[User Picture Icon]
Date:May 3rd, 2009 03:13 am (UTC)
(Permanent Link)
Stay another semester, apply to the schools in option #1. If you decide when they accept you that you don't want to go to any of them stay another semester and apply to more colleges.
[User Picture Icon]
Date:May 3rd, 2009 03:18 am (UTC)
(Permanent Link)
Oh, we're on the quarter system. =)

I was going to do that, but it would impact the classes I take. If I decide on #1, I would not take physics as the whole series would need to be transfer over; however with #2, I would start physics.

Should I start physics even if it won't transfer?

[User Picture Icon]
Date:May 3rd, 2009 03:27 am (UTC)
(Permanent Link)
Should I start physics even if it won't transfer?

It won't hurt but if you don't want to take it twice...

Quarter system makes things difficult. I don't know very much about it besides that.

Is there any school that you think you would be happiest at, that you have friends there that are happy there or that you just have friends at? Applying to a school because you think you will be happy at it and because you have friends at it isn't a terrible reason to go there. (At least for undergrad.) More study buddies.
[User Picture Icon]
Date:May 4th, 2009 05:45 pm (UTC)
(Permanent Link)
Personally, I'd choose #1 fore financial reasons, and #2 for academic ones. But, two things:

A) Federal aid stops being available if you have completed 150% of the minimum number of credits to complete your degree (90 semester credits or equivalent for Associates, about 180 for Bachelors).

B) Regardless of transferability, most universities cap transfer credits at 60-90 credits. Most UCs will only take 70. If you have additional transferable courses, they can usually be used to waive pre-requisites or meet GE and major requirements, but the credits don't transfer.